Are you moving to Atlanta? Very few events in your life can be as exciting. Great things await you in this wonderful city. But first, you have to overcome the stressful process of moving.
To make the journey more relaxing and pleasant for you and your family, we’ve prepared the following tips for a successful move.
- Know the basics about Atlanta
Every city is different, so to help you and your family adjust to your new community quickly, learn about the things that will have the biggest impact on your first few days. These include:
- The weather. Atlanta experiences all four seasons, but generally enjoys mild temperatures all year round. It does get a few freezing days in winter and some hot and humid days in summer, so it’s best to check the weather forecast around the time of your move.
- Getting around. While Atlanta has excellent transport systems, you’ll most likely need a car to get from one place to another conveniently. If you’re bringing your car across states, you have to register it within 30 days of moving to the city. To do that you’ll need a few things, including:
- A Georgia driver’s license
- Proof of residency
- Title/Tag application
- Certificate of Inspection
- Schools. If you have school-age kids, look into the school district that serves your area. Atlanta has excellent school systems so finding a school for your kids will not be difficult.
- Find a trusted mover
The internet is a good place to start your search. If you’re moving across states, look for a mover who’s experienced in cross-country moving. Get and compare quotes from several companies, but avoid choosing one based simply on their estimates. Look at reviews from previous customers, Better Business Bureau or BBB ratings, insurance options, the services they offer, and other factors. If you have specific needs, such as temporary storage, ask potential movers if they can provide those needs.
- Prepare for the packing
It’s advisable to start packing weeks – even months – in advance. Here are a few packing tips:
- Identify the items you need to pack.
- Decide if you’ll do the packing yourself or if the moving company will do it for you. You may want to pack some things on your own and let the moving company do the others.
- Prepare supplies, including boxes and tapes. Keep in mind that buying in bulk can give you discounts. The moving company may also provide some of the packing supplies you need.
- Determine the best way to pack furniture and other large or fragile objects. Can they be disassembled? Do they have parts that need additional wrapping or cushioning? How can you protect your carpet flooring when you pack and arrange the furniture in your new home?
- Separate and pack the things you will need on your first days in your new home, such as toiletries, plates and eating implements, bedding, toys for the kids, and others. Label the box and make sure you can easily find and access it when you get to your new home
- Change your address
You may do this online, by phone, in person, or by mail. This should be done preferably two weeks before your move. Inform the following about your new address:
- Family and friends
- The IRS, DMV, USPS, and other government agencies
- Utility companies
- Your doctors, accountants, and other service providers
The Sherry and Maria team can help in making your move to Atlanta as seamless as possible. Call us at (678) 548-5513 if you’re buying a home or (678) 283-1710 if you’re selling.